1. Best Book You’ve Read So Far in 2017
Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor.
I know I’m so late to reading this trilogy, but holy moly it is amazing. Daughter of Smoke and Bone was mind-blowing. The world-building, character development, the tension and romance and family elements. It was simply incredible.
2. Best Sequel You’ve Read So Far in 2017
Gemina by Jay Kristoff and Amie Kaufman. Talk about an amazing sequel to Illuminae. I didn’t think they could beat it, and then they did and blew me away again. I can’t.
I have a review for Gemina you can check out here.
3. New Release You Haven’t Read Yet But You Want To
Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare. But I need to finish Lady Midnight first (I am so sorry, forgive me for not reading it yet) and I’ve been so busy I kind of forgot about it.
4. Most Anticipated Release for The Second Half of the Year
Godsgrave by Jay Kristoff. I mean, Nevernight was insane af. I need to know what happens to Mia.
5. Biggest Disappointment
A Court of Wings and Ruin by Sarah J. Maas.
Now before you hate on me, this book had the biggest hype of all time and I’m just gonna say it: it was a disappointment. I almost DNF’d this because I was so frustrated with it. It felt rushed, there wasn’t much tension anymore and this looming war that was meant to be a major aspect of the trilogy didn’t quite feel so devastating as it should have. And the ending, I mean. Need I say more?
6. Biggest Surprise
The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli. I wasn’t sold by the blurb but decided to give the book a go and it’s one of my favourite YA contemporaries of all time, if not the best.
You can check out my review for this stellar book here.
7. Favourite New Author (Debut or New to You)
Laini Taylor. She is magical! I adore her writing style and the world she created in the Daughter of Smoke and Bone trilogy (which I am only halfway through).
8. Newest Fictional Crush
I adore Karou from Daughter of Smoke and Bone. She’s independent, cynical, sassy, has peacock blue hair and is an artist. Marry me.
9. Newest Favourite Character
It has to be AIDAN from the Illuminae Files. I simply love AIDAN to pieces. As an AI, I never thought I would be so attached to it (I don’t know whether AIDAN requires a pronoun?) and his sections in both books were A+. This is a new level of fictional love for characters when they’re technically not human.
10. Book That Made You Cry
The Upside of Unrequited. Have you ever seen me ugly cry? That was me with this book.
11. Book That Made You Happy
Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde. I loved the convention setting, the characters, the romances and friendships and ultimate fangirling. It was brilliant.
My review for this baby is here.
12. Favourite Book to Movie Adapation You Saw This Year
Do reruns of Harry Potter count? Because I have seen no book to movie adaptions this year yet.
13. Favourite Review You Wrote This Year
When Dimple Met Rishi by Sandhya Menon. It was such a fun book, full of laughter and adorable moments, so my excitement for it really translated in my review. You can check it out here.
14. Most Beautiful Book You’ve Bought So Far this Year (Or Received)
Caraval by Stephanie Garber. I mean, that cover is divine.
15. What Books Do You Need to Read by the End of the Year?
Ahahahaha, I feel like this is such a looming question. I can imagine this voice in my head saying, “You need to read all these by December 31 or you have failed.”
Anyway, the books I’m hoping to read by the end of the year are:
- Lady Midnight and Lord of Shadows by Cassandra Clare.
- The Book of Lost Things by John Connolly.
- Windwitch by Sarah Dennard.
- A Darker Shade of Magic by V.E. Schwab.
- Crooked Kingdom by Leigh Bardugo.
- Half a King by Joe Abercrombie.
- Ballad for a Mad Girl by Vikki Wakefield.
- Stalking Jack the Ripper by Kerri
- The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon.
- Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor.
- The Gentlemen Bastard trilogy by Scott Lynch.